I made a little progress on my Bede BD-4C airplane this week, though it is not photogenic enough to show here. I made two small steel plates which will attach the tail skid to the fuselage. They are drilled and clecoed in place, waiting for the welder to bend the ½ inch 4130 steel tube into the proper shape. I’ve tried bending this stuff cold and there is no way I can do it so every time I need some of the 4130 steel tube bent, it goes to the welder where he fills it with sand and heats it with a torch.
I then turned my attention to the dorsal fin and the ventral fin. I get to fabricate these out of sheets of .025 and .020 inch aluminum, respectively. The trick is that the dorsal fin needs a .25 inch bend radius and the ventral fin needs a .5 inch bend radius… and they each need to be bent to about 160 degrees, which is way more than the 100 degrees or so that my bending brake will do. Read more ›
I discovered a serious problem with my Bede BD-4C airplane as I was getting ready to install the top fuselage skin: the horizontal part of the tail was crooked. Specifically, the copilot’s side of the tail was about three inches higher (above the floor) than the pilot’s side. I did some careful measuring and figured out that the weldment that holds the horizontal stabilator was attached crooked to the end of the fuselage. Read more ›
The wingtips for my Bede BD-4C airplane arrived today, a very nice surprise since I have been having a hellish time getting the horizontal stabilator attached parallel to the wing spar. Here are pictures, in gorgeous carbon fiber.
BD-4C airplane wingtips
Close-up of carbon fiber wingtip for Bede BD-4C airplane
I am dearly looking forward to the day when I can attach these to the wings.
Last week, I learned that Thunderbird does not like HubSpot Signals. If you use Signals, you might want to be aware of this issue. Apparently, no other email clients display this warning.
HubSpot Signals message displayed in Thunderbird
After spending much time and effort to properly create the large fuselage skins for my Bede BD-4C airplane, you would think that I would want to keep them nice and whole. You would think wrong. Two of them needed large holes cut into them. The top skin needed a hole for the vertical stabilizer’s spar and the left skin needed an inspection port. Read more ›
If you have a web site with an SSL certificate then you are probably affected by the Heartbleed vulnerability which popped into general visibility. If your server is vulnerable, you need to do two things:
- Update openssl
- Replace your SSL certificate (since you have to assume that the certificate’s private key has been stolen).
Anyone in possession of your private key can a) impersonate your web site; and b) decrypt all past, present, and future traffic.
One little piece of the recovery is replacing the default certificate for your control panel. If you only have one server then clicking around in the control panel is OK. But if you have a lot of servers, that will quickly drive you bonkers.
Here is a shell script which will replace the default SSL certificate for Parallels Plesk Panel. The new certificate will be valid for 1095 days (three years). It will then use the new SSL certificate to secure the Plesk Panel itself. Read more ›
Big weekend: I have bonded the first fuselage skins onto my Bede BD-4C airplane. I painted 3M Scotch-Weld #10 Contact Adhesive onto both the skin and the fuselage angles and then “just” stuck the two together. Here are a few photos. There is actually more adhesive on the plane than is visible in the pictures. The camera flash “made” much of the glue “disappear.”
Fuselage with contact cement applied to support angles.
Read more ›
The rear part of the fuselage of the Bede BD-4C airplane that I am building is about 11 feet long. There are eight pieces of skin which cover it. The aft-most pieces are 0.016 inches thick and about 7.5 feet long. The four pieces farther forward are 0.020 inches thick about 3.5 feet long. I initially cut these to shape with a pneumatic sheet metal shear, which is basically a pair of electric scissors on steroids, and powered by compressed air instead of electricity. That gives me a rough shape like this.
Rough shape of bottom fuselage skin
Read more ›
As you know, if you are a citizen of the universe, I am building a Bede BD-4C airplane and I have been writing about the process here on my blog for the last couple of years. Today I am going to write about something that few aviators, and even fewer homebuilders, write about. I am about to write about Lift Reserve.
Many people adhere to the common misconceptions about what makes airplanes fly: money. (Sorry… I couldn’t resist that one.) Many people adhere to the common misconceptions about what makes airplanes fly: a balancing of the four forces Lift-Gravity-Thrust-Drag. This is based in classical physics as taught to high school students and it is naive, to say the least. The problem with the LGTD is that it is simply incomplete. Lift Reserve is not addressed because, classically speaking, it is simply too hard to explain in a high school physics class. Read more ›
Yesterday, I spent longer than I care to admit debugging an update to an old PHP script. It fetched a string from a MySQL database and (here’s the new part) passed the string to json_encode(). That call failed when the data included the multibyte characters ¼ or ½ or ¾. All of my attempts to remove the multibyte characters from the strings (replacing them with “1/4″ or “1/2″ or “3/4″) failed.
The problem turned out to be PHP 5.3.10′s default for the character set of the MySQL connection and the fix was easy. Explicitly set the character set to UTF-8:
$this->dblink = mysql_connect($this->host, $this->username, $this->password);
Once that was set, json_encode() properly recognized the string as UTF-8 and it ran without error.
This problem will not occur with newer versions of PHP. They have the default character set as UTF-8.